Crap Match Report

To The Oval! …on Sunday morning for some Surrey Cricket action against New Zealand A.

The art (ha!) of a touring side is something of a rarity in South London. Long gone are the days when a team sailed in from the other side of the world and then pitched up at every county around the country.

Hurrah then for New Zealand A, arriving at The Oval for their final game of a six week tour.

It’s a shame that the English weather meant that this was the first red ball game that the Kiwis got to play…

I arrived in the Pavilion fashionably late en route from Lidl – that is if you can ever be fashionably late having just leafed your way through the Lidl clothing collection.

And so on the morning that Jason Roy received a well-deserved call up to the England t20 team, I took up my Pavilion seat just in time to see J-Roy walk back to the dressing room on 0 not out.


A big bruiser of a ball from a big bruiser of a NZ brute led to some bruising on the thumb of J-Roy.

Not exactly a thumbs up, but it did mean that I could concentrate on #AnsariWatch at the other.

The ‘rrey were on 33-3, and never really looking in doubt of breaking the Tourist rule that you could only bat for 100 overs during your first innings.

The morning session then settled down, and so did I carrying out my routine arthritic stretches strategically positioned away just behind square.

No one blinked an eyelid.

I LOVE the randomness of the county circuit.

#AnsariWatch came to an end shortly after luncheon with our HERO on 22. Time for Tim Linley.

…ta for coming etc, as The Viscount went back into the hutch, waiting for another day to prove the belief that we have in his batting skills.

Luke Bevan then strolled out to the middle to make his first class county debut. Two balls and two runs later and he too was back in the changing room to takes off his pads.


The ‘rrey ended on 101 all out. I like to think that perhaps the home team misunderstood the 100 overs rule somewhat.

New Zealander Matt Henry had a fifer for his efforts. This was my signal to match his feat with the tinnie count.

The afternoon session was something of a blur. I moved down to the Peter May to soak up the South London sun. I fell asleep at one stage, yet somehow still managed to hold my can of cheapo Lidl lager upright.

Twitter tells me that the tourists closed Day 1 on 202-7.

A return trip waits for me on Monday morning.

I’m kinda on tour myself at the moment…

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Surrey Vs New Zealand A

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *